Saturday 30 June 2012

Public Speaking: Improvise Your Flipchart

Oops! I broke my own rules and did not observe a guidelines on my last public speaking engagement. It was two minutes until begin time and I noticed there was no flipchart within the room. Oh oh!. Better think fast. I used to be not using an overhead projector both, so I couldn't simply write on a blank transparency. Now one and half of minutes left . . . . I thought, "By no means let 'em see you sweat." So, I went into the hall method to sweat. I saw a flipchart in use by the Air Pressure folks who had been in the next room. I borrowed one piece of flipchart paper and went back into my room. Now one minute left. I put the paper on the ground still not realizing what I'd do with it. So I hit the stage and start the program. half-hour in it was the second of truth. I had a spare marker in my prop box. Okay so far. I had masking tape too. . . . but the way the room was set there was no place to put the piece of paper that might enable either side of the room to see it.

I suppose it was time to have some fun. I requested for 3 volunteers to BE my flipchart. I qualified the request to include one individual with a black shirt (incase the marker leaked by the paper). This acquired a good laugh. I had the person with the black shirt flip their again to the audience. The opposite two helpers held the flipchart paper in opposition to blackshirt's back. We had a blast! The three volunteers were laughing. The audience was laughing. Advert-libs were flying. The blackshirt person was getting tickled with the point of the marker. And I nonetheless received the purpose across that I had deliberate all along. OK I am going to admit I messed up by not checking for the flipchart earlier than speaking. Nevertheless, if you are willing and in a position to stay flexible in the face of the inevitable challenges you will face as a enjoyable public speaker, adversity can turn optimistic very quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment